UK & Eire Natural History Bloggers

Monday, April 19, 2010

Shirburn Hill - 15:15 to 16:30





I enjoyed a pleasant afternoon walk on the Hill in intermittent sun and a mild breeze. The following spiked my interest:

• Bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) – flowers starting to open in Cowleaze Wood and at the wooded entrance to the Hill.
• A lady sporting a very expensive pair of binoculars (Swarovski) asked me if I knew the location of any local Goshawks (Accipiter gentilis). Unfortunately I was unable to help as I have never knowingly seen one!
• Heard my second Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus) of the year. This one was on the Hill; however, the first was singing from a garden on Lea Park in Thame! The latter also heard today.
• The Bee-flies (Bombyliidae) are on the wing; specifically (I think!), Bombylius major. See the photographs included with this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment