UK & Eire Natural History Bloggers

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rushbeds Wood - Buckinghamshire

I enjoyed a short walk in Rushbeds Wood today. The weather was not so good with about 95% cloud cover, a moderate wind and, when compared with recent weeks, a ‘cool’ temperature of 17°C.



Birds:


19 bird species were seen and records of them were loaded to BirdTrack (http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/birdtrack). There were no species of great note seen during this visit; though, I did get some close views of a ♀ Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) collecting nest lining material. I also recorded on my Blackberry a ♂ Blackbird (Turdus merula) in full song with a Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita) providing the backing track!


Butterflies:


Just 2 Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) were noted. I did obtain this nice photograph of the first of them.



Other insects:


A single Hornet (Vespa crabro) was on the wing, plus I photographed the following moth species.


I think this is a Cream Wave (Scopula floslactata); however, I will ask the iSpot (http://www.ispot.org.uk/frontpage) community to confirm that.


Flora:


I took the following pictures:

One of the Brambles (Rubus fruticosus agg.)


Spindle (Euonymus europaeus)


See http://philcoles-naturalhistoryblog.blogspot.com/ for photographs and notes.

2 comments:

  1. very nice collection!
    I like the Butterflies the Most!!!!!!!!
    small garden design

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nice blog. I love gardening. thanks for sharing such a nice stuff.


    bill ackman

    ReplyDelete