UK & Eire Natural History Bloggers

Sunday, May 02, 2010

Aston Rowant NNR (Linky Down) - 11:15 to 13:00



My spring Sunday walk on Linky Down was more like an autumn walk! The temperature was 6°C with light rain, a cool stiff wind and a sky full of cloud. The following were of note.

Birds:

• Buzzard (Buteo buteo); 1 calling.
• Red Kite (Milvus milvus); possible nest site seen.
• Lesser Whitethroat (Sylvia curruca); my first of the year calling from a scrub patch on the down.
• Whitethroat (Sylvia communis); 1 calling.
• Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita); 1 in full song.
• Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula); 2 calling overhead, my first for some weeks.
• Linnet (Carduelis cannabina); very infrequently seen by me. However, there was a pair in the Juniper (Juniperus communis) scrub on the down with the male showing well.

Flora:

• Common Twayblade (Listera ovate); population alongside track at SU722964. Most were in leaf only (see photograph above) but two seen each with a flower spike emerging. My camera ran out of battery after I had photographed one plant in leaf so could not take a picture of the plants with flower spikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment