I spent most of this morning (09:40 to 12:25) doing a bird survey of Tetrad SP61S for the BTO Bird Atlas 2007-11 (http://tinyurl.com/2a3wtee). 23 species seen/heard during the 2 hour survey period with 3 others added after the survey was over.
Though I focused mostly on doing a comprehensive bird survey, there was some digression as the stunning weather brought out the spring butterflies (see list of 8 species below) and 5 Hornets (Vespa crabro). I am always in awe of this mighty insect. Well, it is mighty for the UK!
• Orange-tip (Anthocharis cardamines); 12
• Green-veined White (Pieris napi); 2
• Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus); 7
• Dingy Skipper (Erynnis tages); 1
• Small Heath (Coenonympha pamphilus); 3
• Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria); 4
• Large White (Pieris brassicae); 2
• Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas); 2